Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Keeping It Real ::Grocery Shopping::

I plan to use this blog for random stuff that I don't feel the need to bore my Facebook friends with and to track my journey as a wife, student, and mother. I'll just jump right in with this...

"Real food" is a hot topic right now.  A disturbing trend that I see is that families are discouraged from attempting a healthier diet due to budget constraints.  I recently read some comments that essentially put down families that put a cap on their grocery budgets.  It's awesome to have a bunch of disposable income to devote to food purchases but it's far more common to have a strict monetary limit.  There are only so many other places to economize but you can do your best with what you have.

This is from my grocery trip this week.
And here is what I brought home: 2 dozen eggs, 1/2 gallon whole organic milk, 32 oz Chobani yogurt, 3 (16 oz.) bags frozen vegetables, 4 cans diced tomatoes, 1 can tomato paste, 1 jar unsweetened applesauce, organic ketchup, blackberry fruit spread, 1 lb cod fillets, 2 (8 oz) bags shredded cheese, 2.25 lbs top round steak, uncooked corn tortillas, 1.5 lbs bacon, 12 oz bag string cheese, 24oz sour cream, 2 lb whole carrots, 2.09 lbs asparagus, 3 avocados, 3.25 lbs bananas, 4 lbs strawberries, 1 bunch celery, organic baby lettuce, 3 cucumbers, 4 green peppers, 8 lbs white potatoes, 2.36 lbs pears, 3 red peppers, 1.08 lbs turnips, 2 pints grape tomatoes, 2.78 lbs sweet potatoes

In the interest of full disclosure, we don't eat grains for the most part, the corn tortillas are not a commonly purchased item. Three mornings a week the kids eat breakfast at daycare and I generally don't eat breakfast at all. I have quite a bit of meat in the freezer and I order some things from Amazon and other internet sources (gluten free/paleo baking supplies mostly). I would say an accurate estimate would be more like $150/week.  Not a lot is organic though, I live in Podunk and selection is lacking, and I'm working to source more of our food locally.

No comments:

Post a Comment